Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Bridge of No Return

Prisoners of War from both sides were brought to this bridge at the close of the Korean War and could choose to return home or stay on the side that captured them, but once they had crossed they could never return.

I recently had the opportunity to accompany World Mission Coordinator, Bishop Robert Hawkins, on a trip to the South Korea. While there, Brother Hawkins and I had a day to spend learning about the tumultuous relationship between the two Koreas, North and South. We visited some areas close to the border of the two countries and the Joint Security Area (JSA). The JSA is the location where talks occurred to end the Korean War and where conference rooms still exist that sit on the border. The day held many surreal moments for both Brother Hawkins and myself as we learned more about a people held behind one of Satan’s gates, disguised as a national government. The thoughts of the many millions of souls who are entrapped behind these gates affected me in a great way.

As we looked over into a village in North Korea, I could not help but think about this huge, seemingly impenetrable gate that stood before us. It is not a gate of wood, steel or rock, but it is certainly present and one that must be gone through by the Church. My heart was broken, and continues to be, for the many young people in this country who are forced to worship earthly leaders in place of God the Father and God the Son. Even as I write this many months after my trip, I have a resolve in my heart that cries, "I want to go there—I want to get to the other side of that gate and preach the full message of Jesus Christ and The Church of God to those lost souls."
The political world says it can’t be done, but the Word of God says, "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come" (Matt. 24:14). Also we are instructed by the Head of the Church to,

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations... Teaching them to observe all
things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen" (Matt. 28:19, 20). I do not know how we will get through this gate but the promise of Christ, on which our theme is built, echoes through my being: "the gates of hell shall not prevail against [The Church of God]" (Matt. 16:18).

North Korea is certainly not the only place where Satan has set up gates to keep large numbers of people from hearing about Christ and the Church, and we must get through every one of these gates so the captives can hear the liberating message of the gospel. Whether it is one soul or millions of souls, the gates must come down under the power of God when we march upon them—but we must march! We have been sent on a mission to go "Through the Gates" and we must fulfill that mission. How can we rest easily on this side of the gate while there are so many souls in pain and dying, crying out for deliverance on the other side!


No comments:

Post a Comment